– Celestron Skymaster 15×70 binoculars with white light/black film solar filters
– Canon T2i / 550D DSLR
What I saw
- Duh. Venus crossing in front of the Sun for the LAST TIME until December of 2117, 105 years from now. Venus is the small black circle blocking part of the sun. The other dark artifacts are sunspots.
Here are some quick facts for fun (the easy stuff, all numbers are approximate, source: Bad Astronomy):
- Venus is close to the same physical size as Earth.
- Venus is about 25 million miles from Earth, right now.
- The Sun is about 93 million miles from Earth, about 70 million miles FARTHER away than Venus is right now.
- The Sun is NOT a large star.
- If you were drive a car (or spaceship) 100mph, it would take you about 28.5 years to get to Venus. Spaceships would go a lot faster than that, though. Probably. 🙂